A Morocco Anthology: Travel Writing Through the Centuries, Cairo, 2018
Published in April 2018 by AUC Press in Cairo, and distributed in Britain by OUP. A short but I hope useful and agreeable collection of extracts from travellers in Morocco between the sixteenth and twentieth centuries. Ideal, really, for popping in your pocket – for which it is perfectly sized – as you set off for that lovely country. Sections on Fes, Rabat, Marrakech, Tangier, Meknes and Essaouira. Amazon page here.
Education in the Arab World, ed. Sierra Kirdar, London (Bloomsbury) 2017
Recently published, a chapter, Morocco: An Overview, a survey of Moroccan Education, in Education in the Arab World, edited by Serra Kirdar, Bloomsbury 2017 (pp 327-348). The volume is a critical reference guide to the development of education in Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen. The chapters, written by local experts, provide an overview of the education system in each country, as well as discussion of educational reforms and socio-economic and political issues. Including a comparative introduction to the issues facing education in the region as a whole, this book is an essential reference for researchers, scholars, international agencies and policy-makers. Amazon page here.
Other publications and lectures:
- Mutuality, Trust and Cultural Relations – with Nick Wadham-Smith (2004)*
- A Shared Past for a Shared Future: European Muslims and History-making, the 2008 Sheikh Zaki Badawi Memorial Lecture (2009)*
- Whalemen’s Graves, in (ed) Christopher R Burn, Herschel Island Qikiqtaryuk: A Natural and Cultural History of Yukon’s Arctic Island (2012)
- Bavures and Shibboleths: The Changing Ecology of Culture and Language in Morocco, in (ed) Martin Rose and Andrew Hussey, The Challenge of North Africa (2014)*
- Immunizing the Mind: How Can Education Reform Contribute to Neutralising Violent Extremism? (2015)*
- Education In North Africa Since Independence (2015)*
- Education In North Africa Since Independence: Country Profile: Egypt (2015)*
- Education In North Africa Since Independence: Country Profile: Libya (2015)*
- Education In North Africa Since Independence: Country Profile: Tunisia (2015)*
- Education In North Africa Since Independence: Country Profile: Algeria (2015)*
- Education In North Africa Since Independence: Country Profile: Morocco (2015)*
- The Sheepskin Effect, in Critical Muslim 15: Educational Reform (2015)*
- Education, Education, Education, in IEMed Yearbook (2016)
- The Pearl of Morocco, in Critical Muslim 18: Cities (2016)*
- There and Back by Candle-light (2016)
- A New Cultural Diplomacy, (2016)*
- Universities and ‘Radicalisation’ in MENA, (Turkish Journal of Security Studies, 2017).
- Education in Morocco, in (ed) Serra Kirdar and Colin Brock, Education in the Arab World (Bloomsbury, 2017)
- The Education Trap, in The World Today (Chatham House), 2017
- A Morocco Anthology: Travel Writing through the Centuries (AUC Press, 2017)
- Universities, the Job-Market and the Jihad (paper for IIIT Conference, Istanbul, March 2016)*
- The Yin and Yang of European Angst, (essay for EUNIC, 2017)*
Items marked with an asterisk (*) are available on this website at Document Library: they may be downloaded for personal use only.